Monday, September 27, 2010

Meet The Yesterukes--Dick


When the bass guitar player joined the Yesterukes, our sound improved immeasurably.  A bonus for us was learning that Dick had many other talents.  He is a terrific ukulele player, soloist, rhythm player.  He has been known to put on sideburns and belt out the Elvis version of Blue Christmas around the holidays.  And he does animal sounds as needed by the group.

He tells his ukulele story:
The ukulele was my first stringed instrument.  I still have the booklet that I used to teach myself to play.  That was in the early 60s and the uke was soon replaced by the guitar and rock 'n roll.  My first ukulele was purchased for me by my parents when I was 8 years old.  We were in a music store when I saw a ukulele and thought that it would be fun to play.  At the time, Roy Rogers was my hero and he played the guitar.  So I thought it would be neat if I had something so I could strum along Roy.  As I got older, I was in several bands that played rock 'n roll and rhythm and blues.  I've continued to play acoustic guitar, electric guitar and bass guitar throughout my adult life.  More recently I thought it would be nice to go back to my roots, so I purchased a new ukulele about 3 years ago.  When a member of the Yesterukes found out I played ukulele, she invited me to join the group.  The rest, as they say, is history.
Listen as Dick sings one of the most popular songs in our set list:





1 comment:

  1. What a treat to hear a YesterUkes performance! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete